Discover more from THE EMPRESS
Wise AF Wednesdays: The Upgrade 🧠
How the Female Brain Gets Stronger and Better In Midlife and Beyond by Dr. Louann Brizendine, MD
Good news, Empresses!
It turns out… our brains are only getting BETTER! Huzzah for science!
Welcome to Wise AF Wednesdays… Just sharing another must-have ICYMI… The Upgrade by Louann Brizendine, MD. Brizendine’s thesis is exactly what the doctor ordered when it comes to tackling self-doubt—with science.
Dr. Louann Brizendine was among the first to explain why women think, communicate, and feel differently than men. Now, inspired by her own experiences and those of the thousands of women at her clinic, she has a message that is nothing short of revolutionary: in the time of life typically known as menopause, women’s brains are reshaped, for the better, in a way that creates new power, a bracing clarity, and a laser-like sense of purpose if you know how to seize it.
With guidance for navigating the perimenopausal and menopausal storm while it lasts, and actionable, science-backed steps for preserving brain health for the rest of your life, The Upgrade is a stunning roadmap, told through intimate stories, to a new brain state and its incredible possibilities. Dr. Brizendine explains the best science-backed strategies for:
• Hormones: If timed and handled properly, hormone management can save your life. Brizendine cuts through the controversy to give you the latest guidance for HRT.
• Exercise: Leg strength correlates directly with healthy brain function at age 80. Here are the strategies for maintaining your strength.
• Sleep: It’s critical for maximizing the Upgrade, and Brizendine shares how to achieve healthy rest during challenging transitions.
• Mindset: Brizendine shows how to seize the opportunities of your midlife brain changes by shifting your mindset and vision with intention.
• Brain Health: The Upgraded brain requires special care when it comes to sugar, alcohol, inflammatory foods, and the microbiome. Here’s advice for fueling and maintaining cognitive function for decades.
For a deeper dive, have a listen to Brizendine on Magnificent Midlife:
The Upgrade amounts to a celebration of how women step into their power and an entirely new—and radically positive—understanding of aging.
That’s all I wanted to share. Until next time, I remain…
Yours in Grandeur,
*As an Amazon Associate, The Empress may earn from certain purchases, at no cost to you.
THE EMPRESS is a reader-supported community. To receive exclusive bonus posts, join in VIP events, and support our policy work, please consider becoming a paid subscriber.
p.s. If you are so inclined, follow us on IG for flash content & upcoming giveaways. We’re at https://www.instagram.com/the.empress.age/ and we’d love to see you there!